Saturday, November 28, 2009

Trip

Sometimes
When I count the circles of my record player,
Grinding slowly, going no where,
I think about how
I measure my life the same way.
And when the streets outside my apartment
Scream into dull static,
I find that the tab on my tongue is electric.
So I draw my eyes to the sun
Until the veins throb--
Eventually, I can swallow the Earth.

It is then that I see her--
Eyes unblinking, watching me
From inside a chrysanthemum
The size of Jupiter.
She is the moon's hypnotist
The way her words, like honey,
Fill the holes in my head.
And I laugh and call her the Queen of Uranus
When she dances on the daffodils.
She is crazy
That's why I slip into her footprints
And travel close behind her.
Apart, we are nameless stars--
Together, we light up the solar system.

And I cry to her:
Oh wreck me, Navajo princess!
Wreak havoc on every backbone,
Make a Jackson Pollock of my womb,
Use your poetic license to cut open my ribcage,
Span centuries with miles of my skin--
Use all of me,
Don't spill a drop...

When I come down
My back hits the pavement.
From somewhere
I hear her call to me
As I steal air from gasoline streets.

1 comment:

  1. I love this one. A spiritual trip filled with longing for enlightment, where you receive a touch of it, and then come back down to earth and reality again. I love your descriptions also. Really well written spos.

    ReplyDelete